Monday, 7 September 2026

The 88 Films Blu-ray was released today

The 88 Films Blu-ray of The Last House on the Left was released today.

The new edition contains two new commentary tracks, but it retains the 2000s David Hess/Marc Sheffler/Fred Lincoln track that features both Hess's rape threat story and Sheffler's harshest version of the cliff threat. I do not know at this point whether this will be accompanied by any editorial contextualisation; I emailed 88 Films with a polite question about this, but I did not receive a reply.

The disc also includes "Scoring Last House", which features Hess's predatory musings about Sandra Peabody, and "Celluloid Crime of the Century", which includes both Hess's "Can I?" anecdote and Sheffler's original cliff threat story. It appears too that the release features the exploitative outtakes and dailies which were included on the earlier Arrow Films Blu-ray. Slightly to my surprise, the commentary track featuring Sean Cunningham and Wes Craven has been dropped.

I will not be buying this edition of Last House straight away. I intend to wait a while, certainly until it is possible to purchase a copy second-hand at a reasonable price and possibly longer, depending on what else I prioritise. As and when I do obtain the 88 Films edition, I will post about it in much the same way I did for the Metrodome and Arrow releases, with an emphasis on how it treats Sandra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 88 Films Blu-ray was released today

The 88 Films Blu-ray of  The Last House on the Left  was released today. The new edition contains two new commentary tracks, but it retains...